Saturday, July 7, 2007

Less Than 2 Days Before My Fast

Hello my new friends-

I was going to only eat watermelon today. I wanted to really slow down the digestion workload of my body these last two days so I could quietly slip into my fast with hardly a splash. I started off great, I have two small-to- medium melons for this weekend and had a nice meal early this morning. Then I packed lots of stuff in the car, along with the dog, to go to my friends house where I will be staying to house/dog sit. I wanted to start taking my stuff over and was going to meet another friend and go to the Padres baseball game from there. I packed everything but my watermelon!!

So before we left at 11:00 am to go to the ballpark I ate four bananas smoothie style in some water. After the game I was hungry so I ate more bananas. This evening I came back home and I am back to watermelon. Tomorrow I will try to remember to pack my other watermelon so I can just be doing watermelon. Watermelon is so full of water that to me it's more like something you drink than eat. At the ballpark I had two 20 ounces of bottled water, it was hot. I usually don't drink much water because my fruits and vegetables are so full of nature's best water. But I also usually don't sit in the sun for hours in the middle of the day.

At the ballpark I was assaulted by those smells. I think maybe my sense of smell is getting much better because I was so aware of the smells. Or maybe my self-awareness has improved through my Dynamic Self-Discovery work. Or both.

I think I have made friends with the cooked food smells. I still enjoy them, but they don't trigger any urges to go eat a mustard slathered hot dog or a mass of nachos in pretend cheese. I look at these "foods" and have no more desire to eat them than I do to eat my dog's food. But they do smell familiar and comfortable and nostalgic.

I looked at the size of the orders of french fries I saw everyone eating. I pictured that greasy huge lump just covered with salt and pepper and whatever sitting in my intestines. It was hardest to watch when a young child made their way through a plate full. Since I have stopped using condiments for so long I find that I want to taste what I am eating, and not the spices. I recently experienced my first meal at a raw food restaurant and didn't really enjoy much of it.

But after the game my friend was boiling up her potatoes so I could add them to her dogs meals this week, since she won't be home she didn't want to waste them. Plain potatoes being mashed with their skins without anything added did look appealing. If I wasn't preparing to fast I might have stuck a finger in for a taste.

We sat next to a young couple at the game, and I found myself talking to them about diet and health. I usually don't volunteer this kind of talk (I am passed the crusader phase!) because I don't know what a stranger may be ready, willing and able to hear. But he had a really open and curious mind and he drew me into further conversation. He was really listening to the answers I gave to his questions. It was such an unusual and pleasant experience.

That is it for tonight. Tomorrow will be a watermelon day. Then there will just be water and rest. It makes me smile.

Thanks for stopping by-

Seena

PS- The Padres WON!!!!

No comments: