Friday, July 6, 2007

Less Than 3 days before my fast

Hello all my blog readers!

I meant to start this little journal of my upcoming fast sooner than this, but life has a way of getting in the way of life. First a little personal history:

I am a 60 year old female retired Senior Chief Dental Technician. I was born in the Bronx, New York, raised in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles, and have lived (when not assigned to a ship or overseas) mostly in beautiful San Diego since I joined the Navy in 1973.

I have been a member of the Yahoo "Path of Health" group for over six months. For a year and a half before the Path of Health I stumbled down the road of my journey from a Standard American Diet (SAD) and lots of bad habits to where I am now. In this process I have (in kind of chronological order):
  • Stopped eating all meat (red, poultry, fish)
  • Stopped smoking and almost stopped drinking alcohol
  • Stopped taking prescription/over the counter drugs
  • Gave away my microwave
  • Stopped eating dairy
  • Stopped eating processed foods
  • Had a 7 day "cleanse" with herbs, colonics, no food
  • Got regular sunshine
  • Started buying organic fruits and vegetables
  • Stopped cooking
  • Started watching the fat content (went 80-10-10)
  • Stopped juicing and dehydrating
  • Stopped eating grains
  • Learned the Path of Health principles and practices
  • Started Dynamic Self-Discovery sessions
WOW! Whenever I find myself focused a little too much on looking forward or on goals I take time out and look backwards- to see what I have already accomplished. I don't need a goal as much as a direction. The rest will unfold on its own.

The last few weeks I have been eating very simply- fruit meals of bananas or watermelon, simple salads of greens, cukes, sweet red peppers, celery, grape tomatoes and some kind of homemade simple dressing. I did quite a few weeks of no added fats a few months ago and very seldom have avocado or nuts unless I am eating out. Saturday and Sunday I am just going to eat mono meals of watermelon to ease into the fast.

My fast will coincide with dog/house sitting at a friend's home- my dog Junior, her dogs Sophie and Molly. I have plenty of their dog food, and I will haul in enough water for me for the first two weeks until the house owner comes home.

I am looking forward to this experience with great joyful anticipation! I feel like I am giving my self a real gift- the gift to have a time out to take care of whatever my body decides to work on without having to do the regular daily chore of digesting food. The physical part of not eating doesn't concern me much. I did go a week without eating and now I am even "cleaner" than I was almost two years ago. I am interested to see what emotional issues arise- and to experience whatever cleansing incidences I encounter. Curiosity is good.

That's it for now. I am off to make a list of what I need to do before Monday. When you are over 60 you need a list for everything.

Thanks for coming aboard and y'all come back now- ya hear?

Seena

No comments: